Why is this important?
Because now, you have the freedom to eat the crispy, crunchy, glorious skin instead of sadly scraping it to the side of your plate. After all, it's a health food!
- 1 7th Heaven Farm quartered whole chicken, cleaned and dried
- 2 tbs lemon zest
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp crumbled saffron threads
- 1/2 tsp cracked black peppercorns
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp Himalayan sea salt, plus 1/2 tsp set aside
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 bell peppers, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 heirloom purple and yellow carrots, cut into 3" x 1/4" sticks
- about 1 c of baby carrots
- 1 red or Vidalia onion, cut into wedges
- 3 crowns of broccoli, cut into bite sized florets
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together lemon juice and zest, olive oil, paprika, saffron, garlic, pepper, and cayenne. Allow to sit for about 5 minutes to marry the flavors.
- Place thoroughly dried chicken quarters into a large mixing bowl and pour in the mixture. Massage into chicken, including underneath the skin (but be careful to leave the skin attached!). Let it sit covered in the fridge for at least a half hour, but overnight would be better.
- Preheat oven to 350. Lay out the chicken on a cookie sheet, leaving a good inch between each piece and bake in the middle rack for forty minutes.
- Once the chicken is in the oven, take all your chopped veggies, and toss them with the remaining chicken marinade and the reserved 1/2 tsp of Himalayan sea salt (or more if you're not sensitive to salt). Lay out in an even layer on a large, parchment lined cookie sheet and place in the oven below the chicken.
- After the chicken has been cooking for about 40 minutes, crank the heat up to 400 for another 15 minutes or so to finish it with crispy skin. A meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the piece should register 165 degrees. Remember that, in a quartered chicken, some pieces will be finished before others, and pasture raised meat can dry faster than conventional, so take them out as they finish cooking to avoid unintended texture.
- Once the last piece of chicken comes out, the veggies should be done, so just serve on a large plate with the chicken lovingly arranged on top.
Active Prep Time: appx 15 minutes
Cook Time: appx 55-60 minutes